Thursday 19 February 2015

Type Essentials

Photoshop has a powerful text engine that makes adding type to a document, quick and intuitive. In this lesson we're going to learn how to add point text, and then refine it by using the options bar, and the character panel. To create our headline, I'll select the type tool and by clicking it on the tool pallet or by taping the t key. Then we can choose our options, such as the font as well as the size, in the menu bar. In this case, I'm going to select Myriad Pro Regular, but you can select any typeface that you want.
I'll also increase the point size to at least 24 points. Then I'll click in my image and start typing the word revive. If I want to change the size of the type without committing to the type I can hold down the command key, or the control key on Windows, and start dragging in order to resize this. If I add the shift key then I can stain the proportions of the font. If I want to reposition the type, again with out committing to the type.
I just move my cursor away from the type and then click and drag in order to reposition it. Once I'm satisfied with the type and I want to commit to it, I can either click the check icon, or use the keyboard shortcut command return, or control return to commit to the type. As you can see on the layers panel, I have new type layer and that layers name the same thing that I just typed in. One of the things about type in Photoshop is always re editable, and because is vector based we don't lose any quality, even if I use free transform to transform it.
If I want to make a change to the type, and I still have the type tool selected, all I need to do is click and drag over the letters or the characters that I want to change. If I want to change all of the text, I could do a quick command A. Or control A on windows, in order to select all. In this case, I want to change it so that it's semi bold. Then I'll click the check mark in order to apply that change. Another way to make changes to an entire text layer without actually having to click and swipe to select the text, is to simply have the text layer selected on the layers panel.
Then, if I want to change the color, for instance, I can click in the color swatch and either change the color using the color picker. Or I can position the cursor on top of the image and select a color from the photograph itself. Once I'm satisfied with the color, I'll click OK in order to apply that. Now in order to add a little bit of separation between the text and the background, I'll use the effects icon in order to add an outer glow. I'll change the color of the grow from yellow to white by clicking on the color swatch and selecting it in the color picker.
I might want to make this a little more opaque and increase the size. When I click OK, we can toggle on an off the auto glow to see how now there's a little bit more separation between the type and the background. Now, I want to add some more headline text. But instead of typing in, we are going to take advantage of the note that I've saved within the document. In order to access the contents of the note, double click on the note. That will show the notes panel. If the notes panel isn't visible, use the window menu, and then select notes.
If you can't see the entire note, you can use the grabber handle in order to elongate or make the notes panel larger. We can see that by default all of the text in the notes panel is selected. I only want the top portion selected so I'll click to deselect and then click again and swipe in order to select the top portion of text. In order to copy this to the clipboard I'll use the keyboard shortcut command c on Mac or control c on windows.
And then we can go ahead and collapse that panel. Now, when I click with the text tool inside the image area, I can see from the text insertion point that my types going to be very large. So I'll use the options bar to bring that down to around 12 points. Then I'll use the keyboard shortcut command v or control v in order to paste that type. As we can see, the type continues on past the image area because we're using headline type, or point type.
Photoshop doesn't automatically create line breaks. We need to do that manually. So I'll place my text insertion point right before the word fortunately, and then tap the return, or enter key. Now I want to make changes to the entire body of text here, so I'll do a quick command a, or control a on Windows, in order to select all of the characters in my type layer. Of course I can make a number of changes using the options bar but there are additional changes if I show the character panel in order to do this we can go to the window menu and chose character or we can simply click on the character panel.
Now if I wanted to change something like the type size, there are many different ways I can do so using this panel. For example, if I hover my cursor on top of the icon to set the font size, I can then use the scrubby sliders by clicking and dragging to the left to make the size smaller,. Or clicking and dragging to the right to make the size larger. If I know the exact size that I want, I can simply swipe in the text entry area and then enter it in. Or I can select a size from the drop down menu.
If I want to change the spacing between the two lines of type then I'll want to change the leading. In this case i'll use the scrub sliders again. Moving to the left to type up the letting and moving to the right to expand it. Of course if I ever want to reset that back to the default I can use the drop that menu, and then chose auto. If I want to change the spacing between all of the characters then I'll want to use this icon to set the tracking.
If I want to close up the spacing, putting the characters closer together, I'll click and drag to the left, or I can open up the spacing by clicking, and dragging to the right. If I've highlighted the value, I can also use the up arrow keys in order to increase or the down arrow keys in order to decrease the amount of spacing. And if I ever want to reset this, I can simply choose zero from the list. If I only want t change the distance between two characters, I can go ahead and place the text insertion marker.
Between those two characters. And then I would using the kerning option here. I can click and drag to the right in order to add space. Or click and drag to the left in order to decrease spacing. But again that's just the spacing between two characters. I'll go ahead and reset that by choosing optical. Now there are many different ways that I can pick a different type face. But it would be really really useful if I could get a preview of the type face that I'm trying to select. Now if I'm not sure of the font that I want to use, there are a variety of different ways that we can actually preview.
The different type faces in Photoshop. In order to get the largest preview, I'm going to close the character panel, and I'm also going to commit to this type. I'll do that by clicking on the check icon up in the options bar. Now remember, the type layer is still selected. So, when I choose from the list of fonts here, I can actually roll my cursor over any of those different options and we'll get an instant preview in the image area.
This is a great way, if you're not familiar with your fonts, to quickly take a look of them. Now, if you know what font you're looking for, you can go ahead and search for that font. So for example, if I was looking for Helvetica, I could start typing in Helvetica, and it would show me all of the fonts that contain that word. Or if I wanted to do a more general search, I could search for all of the typefaces that include the word bold. Or, I could be more specific and type in bold and italics and I even can include something like Pro as part of the name.
In addition, you might have noticed that in the upper right there is an icon with a T on it and if I click on that it will take me directly to the Typekit website. If you're a subscriber to Creative Cloud Complete or to Photoshop CC the point product, then you have access to hundreds of fonts via Typekit. And you'll notice that when we landed on this page, it's automatically going to search for those type faces that I can use on my desktop. I can refine that search, for example if I'm looking for a script font, I can select script, and then scroll through until I find a font that I like.
In order to install this font. I simply click use fonts. And then sync selected fonts. Those fonts will automatically be installed via the Creative Cloud desktop app. So that when I return back to Photoshop. And we select the type menu. If I type in A-L-E-X we can see there's the Alexa font that I just installed. One last thing to just point out here if I remove my search criteria.
And just click this filter icon. We can immediately see all of the different type kit fonts that I have installed. Alright, let's go ahead and release that feature and then I'm going to type in myriad. And select the semi bold version, and then apply that to the type that I have selected. I also want to add a simple drop shadow, so I'll click the effects icon, and choose drop shadow, I'll move that out of the way so that I can see it. And I'll go ahead and decrease the distance to about three pixels, as well as the size.
And click okay just so we get a little bit of separation between that text and the background photograph. Then let's go ahead and save this document. I'm going to use the keyboard shortcut cmd + shift + s or ctrl + shift + s in order to save this. I'll add an 01 at the end and save it back into the original folder. I want to make sure that I maximize the compatibility and then I want to close this file so that I can show you one last shortcut. If you don't have any documents open and you change the type attributes these attributes will become your new defaults.
So for example, if I want to use Myriad Pro, but I want to use the regular version as my default, and I want to set that to 12 points and maybe make sure that I have black as my default color because I don't have any documents open the nest time I open a document these will be my type settings. So there you go. An introduction to point type. Otherwise known as headline type. Just don't forget, if you only want to change a portion of the text.
Be sure to select what you want to affect first. And then make your changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write Here About This Content